5 Easy Ways to Change a habit.
- Change what happens before the habit – Just think of how many things you do without thinking, shaking someone’s hand, opening a door, using a knife and fork to eat…….. Our brains are wired to follow routines and patterns of behaviour. It has to do this to learn and that’s how you create a habit. By changing the trigger for the habit you interrupt the routine and this can stop your brain following the automatic habit. This is easier than you might think, if you always eat when you get home, change which hand you open the door with, if you always have biscuits in the evening while watching TV, switch off the TV for 3 minutes before you get the biscuits.
- Supplement the bad part for something else – This one is really easy, you’d be surprised at just how little regard your brain gives to the substance over the action. You can supplement wine for water, so long as its in the same glass, drunk at the same time, whilst doing the same thing your brain wouldn’t be as bothered as you’d expect. Changing the substance is easier than changing the action of the habit. I’ve heard many stories about wives who’ve put less sugar in a cup of tea and the husband has never noticed or people who have eaten things they never would if they’re chatting with friends etc.
- Don’t tempt it – Take the temptation away, don’t buy it or keep it in easy reach. If it’s not there your brain doesn’t think about it quite so much.
- Diversion – Do something else. Often boredom is the reason for these unhealthy habits so long as you’re occupied it doesn’t think about that particular food or drink. So come up with a simple diversion, each time you want a packet of crisps you’ll do x, this could be anything, 5 star jumps, knitting, phone a friend. Choose something which works for you.
- Practise – Since your brain learns by repeating patterns of behaviour practice is key. I once heard it takes on average 26 times before your brain accepts a new pattern of behaviour. From experience I’d say that’s probably about right. So keep doing it!! If you miss one and fall back to the old habit you’re back to counting again the beginning. After a short while your brain will run this new habit without you thinking about it.
So no more excuses and hiding behind an old habit as the reason why you struggle to lose weight. This 2015 create some new healthy habits which will help you achieve you goals.
PS. If you’d like some personal support to change some deep routed habits I’m only one phone call away on 07712 445651 or email me email@example.com
PPS. Check out how hypnotherapy can help you lose weight at: www.refreshedminds.com/weight-loss