If you are feeling overwhelmed, pressured, lost, drained or just full of negative thoughts....this is for you. It's the month of love so I'm going to give you 3 reasons why you should fall in love with your unconscious mind.
This part of your mind is the most amazing tool, lets have some fun and teach you how to use it.
What your unconscious mind is not......
Before we start I want to dispel a few myths. So many people are afraid of their unconscious and what it might 'do'. They don't want to go there in case it opens pandora's box or does something they 'can't reverse'. So lets just get a few things straight.
1) Your unconscious is yours and it's number one role is to keep you safe. It will always continue to do that.
2) Your unconscious is where your beliefs and values are held so anything which goes against those isn't going to be entertained.
3) You control your mind, it's up to you what you do, where you go etc. If something is too big, you can break it down or just not even go there, it's always your choice.
4) Your unconscious is like a small child, it can be mischievous at times, it likes lots of praise and support, it's not malicious or unkind.
5) You do it already!! You already access this type of thinking every day, when you're day-dreaming, driving the car, reading a book, watching TV, sitting on the toilet etc etc.......
Ok with that put to bed lets move onto the wonderful things your unconscious mind can do.
3 reasons why you should love your unconscious
Lets dive straight in.....
1) It holds all the answers: Your unconscious mind is like a massive library of everything you've ever experienced, learnt, believed etc....it has so much information and you can access it. When you sit and slow your brainwaves down, ease and slow.....you throw open the doors and if you listen it will give you the answer to your questions......eg. Where are my keys, why am I feeling annoyed, what's the right thing for me to do etc. You have the wealth of power at your fingertips, if you'd just sit down, be quiet and listen.
2) It's creative and fun: Your unconscious mind is where your creativity and imagination are, if you allow it, you can have some real fun. So often this gift is trained out of us, as a child we had the ability to laterally think, to invent and imagine. What would you give to unleash that fun spirit again?? How many great ideas could you create, if you let yourself? Sometimes it's not about being in the box, it's about showing yourself you can enjoy jumping out of it.
3) It calms the fight or flight response: With our busy lives and hectic schedules we are constantly living in our fight or flight response (I shared a video explaining this here.) During this we aren't healing, we aren't digesting and our hormones are all over the place. The outcome of too much of this can be anxiety and stress. Unconscious thinking calms and switches off our fight or flight response.
The benefits of slowing down have been well documented in research studies and with mindfulness and meditation on the rise it's great to hear that the message is being heard. Your unconscious mind is estimated to be 30,000 time more powerful than conscious thinking. Just imagine what amazing things you could have access to.
Don't know how to access your unconscious?
If you would like to have a go at unconscious thinking but don't know where to start I've created a little 10 minute audio which you can download. Just find somewhere peaceful, sit back and listen. Once you've got the hang of what it feels like, you'll start to fall in love with how amazing your unconscious mind can be.
I hope that has given you a new found excitement and interest into the power of your unconscious mind and it's potential. If you would like help with your mindset and overcoming nerves, overwhelm or other issues I'm always happy to help.
Until next time