What Does Hypnosis Feel Like?
Have you ever:
- Ever drove from A to B and not been fully aware of the journey?
- Ever been watching a film and completely not realized someone was talking to you?
- Ever been reading a book and totally got lost in the story to the complete exclusion of everything else?
- Ever been lying in bed with your mind popping up random thoughts that seem unrelated and not logical?
All of these are hypnosis!! You know exactly how it feels and you probably experience it everyday, you just don’t realise it. Hypnosis feels like a day-dreamy, relaxed and somehow ‘not completely focused on the now’ feeling. Your body is doing one thing and your mind is a million miles away.
Now I’d like to dispel a few myths:
1. Do I lose control? – despite the portrayal of hypnosis on the telly and stage the answer is no, those people will only do what they’re happy to do, the same goes for you I can't make you do anything you don't want to.
2. Will I do silly things? – No, unless clucking like a chicken will help you achieve your goal, I’m not interested. This is about therapy not entertainment.
3. Can I move and talk? – Yes absolutely, you can if you want to. Some people feel so relaxed they can’t be bothered but if you want to move or talk you can and will.
They’re the three most common questions I get asked but if you have any more feel free to comment or get in touch, I’m always happy to answer questions and answer your questions.
I hope that puts your mind at ease and helps you understand how hypnosis feels. It’s something you already do and know very well. I’m just using that natural process to focus your mind on working on an outcome you want.
Until next time.
PS. If you would like to meet me and see if hypnotherapy is the right tool to help you, I offer a free 20 minute meet and greet consultation, call me on 07712 445651 to book.
Reasons why hypnotherapy would not work:
- If you’re not comfortable for any reason: The basis of hypnotherapy is to achieve that wonderful day-dreamy state and for this it requires you to feel safe and comfortable. If there is any reason why this wouldn’t be the case hypnotherapy isn’t going to work. This is why it’s so important to choose the right therapist for you.
- If you don’t want to change/quit the problem: As the famous quote says “I can lead a horse to water but I can’t make it drink” and this is also true of hypnotherapy. If there is a reason why you fundamentally don’t want to change you won’t. For this reason I don’t take on clients whose relative or friend has contacted me on their behalf. I need to know the client is committed to the outcome, otherwise we’re just wasting time and money and I wouldn’t want to do that.
- If the client doesn’t ‘go with it’: Similar to the one above, I can’t make people do something they don’t want to do. You are always in control and decide what to feel/think at all times. The foundation of hypnotherapy is a lovely relaxed and peaceful feeling but if you don’t go with that and allow yourself to feel/think it you’re not going to benefit from hypnosis.
NOTE: This isn’t to say you can’t reserve judgement, I have many clients who aren’t 100% sure if it’s going to work, you just have to be happy and open to wait and see.
- If the approach I choose isn’t the right one: There are 100s of different ways to help someone with their issue, I have a huge toolbox with many different techniques so it’s important that we both take responsibility for the process. I always take time to understand how you think so I have the best chance of choosing the right tool but I sometimes don't get it right so it’s also your responsibility to help me by giving information and letting me know if something different would be better. It’s a two way process which we both have to commit to. If either side don’t do this it isn’t going to have the affect you’re looking for.
The good news is everyone can feel the benefit of hypnotherapy, after all you do it to yourself everyday. The only two questions you need to answer for it to work are these:
1. Do I feel safe and relaxed with my therapist so I can go with it and feel comfortable?
2. Am I ready to change and am I open minded and willing to put the effort in to achieve the outcome I want?
If the answer to these questions are both yes then hypnotherapy would be a great experience for you.
Hope that helps,
Until next time
PS. If you have questions about hypnotherapy or would like to meet me and see if I’m the right person to help you, I offer a free 20 minute meet and greet consultation, call me on 07712 445651 and I'll get you booked in.
What hypnotherapy can help
Here’s the list of the things I’ve helped people overcome, achieve and change:
- Phobias – I’ve worked on all sorts of phobias from flying phobias to a phobia of stairs. If you wonder why something that should be a rational and easy act provokes an irrational response I can explain it and help you overcome it.
- Confidence – I’ve helped people to talk in meetings, feel comfortable in social situations, start new businesses and get ready for an interview. Confidence is a coat you wear and is certainly a skill you can learn.
- Weight Loss – I help people change their triggers, habits and thoughts towards food, my biggest success is a whopping 6.5 stone loss.
- Stress – From work pressure to relationship issues I really enjoy giving people the skills to manage stress for themselves. Stress is a natural response to danger, it’s perfectly normal, you just need to re-educate your mind as to what situations it would be helpful for rather than let your stress response run wild.
- Anxiety – Such a debilitating feeling, I really enjoy seeing people smile and live their life with excitement after their sessions. Anxiety really doesn’t have to govern your life, you can get back in control and live life again.
- Habits – I’ve helped people successfully quit smoking, start eating salad and no longer notice irritating sounds. A habit is a learn behaviour and in my opinion if you’ve learnt one way you can certainly learn a new one.
As you can see your mind is an amazing tool that can create some rather unhelpful learnt behaviours and thoughts. Your mind is capable of much more than you probably give it credit for. So if you need help to put mind over matter hypnotherapy can show you how.
If you’re thinking about trying hypnotherapy but have some questions come for a free Meet and Greet 20 minute consultation. I’m always happy to chat and answer any questions you have.
I hope that’s given you a better idea of the things hypnotherapy can help with.
Until next time.
PS. Book your free 20 minute consultation by emailing email@example.com