Reasons why hypnotherapy would not work:
- If you’re not comfortable for any reason: The basis of hypnotherapy is to achieve that wonderful day-dreamy state and for this it requires you to feel safe and comfortable. If there is any reason why this wouldn’t be the case hypnotherapy isn’t going to work. This is why it’s so important to choose the right therapist for you.
- If you don’t want to change/quit the problem: As the famous quote says “I can lead a horse to water but I can’t make it drink” and this is also true of hypnotherapy. If there is a reason why you fundamentally don’t want to change you won’t. For this reason I don’t take on clients whose relative or friend has contacted me on their behalf. I need to know the client is committed to the outcome, otherwise we’re just wasting time and money and I wouldn’t want to do that.
- If the client doesn’t ‘go with it’: Similar to the one above, I can’t make people do something they don’t want to do. You are always in control and decide what to feel/think at all times. The foundation of hypnotherapy is a lovely relaxed and peaceful feeling but if you don’t go with that and allow yourself to feel/think it you’re not going to benefit from hypnosis.
NOTE: This isn’t to say you can’t reserve judgement, I have many clients who aren’t 100% sure if it’s going to work, you just have to be happy and open to wait and see.
- If the approach I choose isn’t the right one: There are 100s of different ways to help someone with their issue, I have a huge toolbox with many different techniques so it’s important that we both take responsibility for the process. I always take time to understand how you think so I have the best chance of choosing the right tool but I sometimes don't get it right so it’s also your responsibility to help me by giving information and letting me know if something different would be better. It’s a two way process which we both have to commit to. If either side don’t do this it isn’t going to have the affect you’re looking for.
The good news is everyone can feel the benefit of hypnotherapy, after all you do it to yourself everyday. The only two questions you need to answer for it to work are these:
1. Do I feel safe and relaxed with my therapist so I can go with it and feel comfortable?
2. Am I ready to change and am I open minded and willing to put the effort in to achieve the outcome I want?
If the answer to these questions are both yes then hypnotherapy would be a great experience for you.
Hope that helps,
Until next time
PS. If you have questions about hypnotherapy or would like to meet me and see if I’m the right person to help you, I offer a free 20 minute meet and greet consultation, call me on 07712 445651 and I'll get you booked in.