My phobia package is 3 sessions and I sometimes get asked why 3 when other hypnotherapists can do it in 1? Over the last 5 years I've tried and tested different approaches with clients here's what I've found and why I only offer a 3 session approach:
When people come to me with a phobia they've often had it for a long time, it feels beyond their control and it has a big impact on their life. I found with my clients a 1 session approach was too big a step for them to take in one go.
After their 1 session many reported feeling uneasy, like something was missing, causing them worry/anxiety and often over time clients filled that void with something else. e.g. they aren't scared of spiders any more but balloons suddenly become a problem. For me this isn't resolving a phobia and isn't getting the client the results they want. For a few client this 1 session approach worked well but for me those odds weren't high enough....I wanted to create a better experience and one which got better results.
So I did some research. I looked at overcoming a phobia from both the clients point of view and also from the 'how our brains work' perspective.......here's what my research showed me:
My findings for effectively Overcoming a Phobia
1) The first time you experience hypnotherapy your head ask a lot of questions, 'am I doing this right', 'is this how it's supposed to feel' etc.....you're so focused on doing it well that the techniques often didn't work as effectively.
2) The mind will not give something up unless it's happy to do so......the best convincer is your own evidence. If you (in real life) experience that it can be different and that the 'new' behaviour is better, it gives you confidence and the techniques which follow work even better.
3) You want to feel in control. You like to know what to do. It's as much about the conscious belief as it is about the unconscious. Practical tools give you back control and power. Even if the phobia was removed the practical tools help manage that strange feeling you get when you're doing something new.
4) Removing a phobia leaves a void, what do you put back in? We have to fill that void and refill the unconscious with new thoughts/behaviours and actions. There's only so much of this I can do in one session and it's often just not enough.
5) It's a joint effort.....I can only do so much, I have to teach you what to do so you can do it for yourself, out there in your life, in the situations you experience.
As you can see, to get you the best outcome and experience, there's a lot more to consider. I decided to do this effectively it had to be more than 1 session.
My 3 session package was the outcome from these findings.
1) The powerful intro - In this session you experience hypnotherapy, letting go of any thoughts and feelings that are holding you back and I help you start to feel like things can be different. I also teach a practical technique to regain control when anxiety strikes.
This session is designed to leave you feeling empowered, comfortable and back in control.
2) The phobia squasher - This session is the traditional hypnotherapy phobia session designed to reframe/change your phobic experience. I also build on what we started in session one with lots of encouragement and confidence boosting suggestions.
This session is designed to get rid of that phobia, once and for all.
3) The aftercare - This session teaches you how to refill the void with good new thoughts/actions and behaviour so you can continue after the sessions. Its also an opportunity to check in with you and make sure everything is going well and you have everything you need to be phobia free for good.
This session is designed to give you everything you need to have effective, long lasting results.
Since using this approach my results have improved dramatically. From following up with clients after their sessions I can say with confidence that pretty much all of them have achieved the outcome they wanted, I'm definitely going to stick to this approach. But don't just take it from me, Lisa was happy to share her story with you, click below to have a read:
Here's how I helped Lisa overcome her phobia of driving.
So that's why my phobia package is 3 sessions, in a nut shell.....it's because in my experience this approach gets better and more sustainable results.
If you, or someone you know has a debilitating phobia and would like some help, book a free Meet and Greet consultation with me and I'm always happy to have a chat.
Until next time